A discussion about the environment. Questions for children or other family members. The conversations can be simple, but they can also become deeper, touching on family habits, observing environmental protection in the household, and the reasons that determine each family member’s reasons for acting environmentally friendly or not. With children, these questions can be played out by asking the child to draw responses on a large sheet, creating a painting. You can choose questions that are relevant to the specific situation.
What do you think the environment is?
Where do we live?
What is environmental protection? (To understand the importance of environmental protection)
Why do we need to protect the environment?
What actions help to protect the environment?
What does it mean to be sustainable? (To understand the concept of sustainability)
What does it mean if we live sustainably?
What actions make our lives more sustainable?
How does human activity affect the environment? (To be aware of our impact)
What are the things we do that can affect the environment?
How can we reduce our negative impact on the environment?
Why is it important to be in nature? (To understand the importance of nature)
Why is it important to go for a walk or spend time outdoors in nature?
Why are animals and plants important?
What is biodiversity? (To understand the importance of biodiversity)
What does diversity mean in life? Why is it important?
What are the signs that people care about the environment? (To develop environmental awareness)
How can you tell if someone is an environmental activist?
What can we do to take care of the environment?
Why is it important to set an example in environmental protection? (To understand that action is more important than words)
Why can’t we just talk about environmental protection, but it is important to act?
Is the environment important for all people and animals? (To understand the interdependence of all forms of life)
How do our actions affect other people and animals?
What can you do to help protect the environment? (To develop creative ideas)
Do you have any ideas on how you can help protect the environment?
What can you do today to take care of the environment?
Helping bees – planting nectar plants
Together with family members, decide where and which plants to sow to help bees and other pollinators produce nectar.
You can do this in:
a home garden;
flower beds near the house;
on the balcony.
Select nectar plants such as:
Create an insect hotel!
You can create an insect hotel in the backyard, garden, or another location. Do this together with your family and neighbors. You can find instructions on how to prepare an insect hotel here: https://turisms.saldus.lv/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2023/04/Kukainu-viesnica-instrukcija.pdf
Gather the family and decide if you are ready to sort the garbage. Decide which waste to start with. Prepare waste bins and a place to put them. You can also use unnecessary cardboard boxes, plastic bins, or special waste sorting containers for the preparation of the bins.
When sorting waste, the main thing is to separate those waste types from household waste that can be recycled. Waste flow can be divided into the following fractions:
Suitable for recycling:
PET bottles, cups, crates
LDPE films and bags
HDPE plastic packaging
Not suitable for recycling:
Dirty, greasy packaging
Prepare raw materials for recycling:
Separate from food residues/rinse
Do not tie in a bag
More info https://www.zalajosta.lv/atkritumu-skirosana/ka-pareizi-skirot-atkritumus/
Establish a tradition of going on collective activities in nature! Some ideas include:
WALKS, DISCOVERING NEW NATURAL VALUES
HIDE-AND-SEEK IN THE PARK OR FOREST
TREASURE HUNT IN TEAMS, YOU CAN ALSO DOWNLOAD THE GEOCACHING APP ON YOUR MOBILE DEVICE
WALKS WITH STEP COUNTING. SOMETIMES, THE RIGHT MOTIVATION IS NEEDED TO MOVE A LOT. CHALLENGE YOURSELF AND SET A SPECIFIC GOAL FOR HOW MANY STEPS YOU WANT TO TAKE IN COLLECTIVE FAMILY WALKS EACH MONTH
COMPOSITIONS FROM NATURAL MATERIALS –
GO INTO NATURE AND COLLECT CONES, TWIGS, STONES, BRANCHES, AND CREATE MANDALAS, DRAWINGS, WRITE YOUR NAME.
- Movie – Plastic ocean
- https://www.varam.gov.lv/en/reduction-long-range-transboundary-air-pollution On the website of the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Regional Development, you can find information on various types of pollution, legislation, actions and measurements.
- https://www.who.int/news-room/questions-and-answers/item/chemical-safety-pesticides on the effects of pesticides on human health
- https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/economy/20151201STO05603/circular-economy-definition-importance-and-benefits Circular Economy: Definition, Importance and Benefits
- https://oceans-and-fisheries.ec.europa.eu/eu-beach-cleanup_en?fbclid=IwAR1lOC6kPNnvEJCdH3pXbNsClE309vlMnzh1rM4vEy2I6vyZjoI-_-Xdafs #EUBeachCleanup 2023
- https://climate.ec.europa.eu/climate-change_en European Commission on Climate Change, Video
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyiNyWQeysI Causes and Consequences of Climate Change
- ko ES dara, lai cīnītos ar klimata krīzi about what the European Union is doing and planning to reduce climate warming
- https://climate.ec.europa.eu/citizens/climate-tips_lv what everyone can do to reduce the climate crisis
- https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-involved/how-to-help/carbon-footprint-calculator/ co2 footprint
- https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20191129STO67758/what-s-behind-the-decline-in-bees-and-other-pollinators-infographic What are pollinators, how do they affect the economy, and why are their species declining? Read on to learn more.
- https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2023/05/16/eu-bee-killing-pesticides/ Greenpeace on how European countries send banned chemical pesticides to poorer countries.
- https://putnidaba.lob.lv/ Latvijas ornitaloģijs biedrība, putni, to paradumi, dati.
- European Environment Agency https://www.who.int/news-room/spotlight/how-air-pollution-is-destroying-our-health#:~:text=The%20health%20effects%20of%20air,are%20due%20to%20air%20pollution.&text=Microscopic%20pollutants%20in%20the%20air,our%20lungs%2C%20heart%20and%20brain.
- European Parliament https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20180328STO00751/waste-management-in-the-eu-infographic-with-facts-and-figures
- Environmental impact of textile production and waste https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20201208STO93327/the-impact-of-textile-production-and-waste-on-the-environment-infographics
- Circular economy in the EU https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/economy/20151201STO05603/circular-economy-definition-importance-and-benefits
- Plastic pollution https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20181005STO15110/plastic-in-the-ocean-the-facts-effects-and-new-eu-rules
- Childhood Development and Access to Nature https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3162362/#:~:text=Research%20has%20shown%2C%20for%20example,Wells%20%26%20Lekies%2C%202006).
- https://www.latvia.travel/en/attractions-families-travelling-children Ideas for holidays for families with children
- https://www.who.int/news-room/questions-and-answers/item/chemical-safety-pesticides health effects of pesticides